Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a Bank dishonor a check out of number sequence?

Customer Question
Can a Bank dishonor a...
Can a Bank dishonor a check for being out of number sequence? There was more than adequate funds to cover the check.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/16/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A bank can question and has a duty to the account holder to question any suspicious check, including the out of sequence check. They cannot refuse to honor the check if the account holder verifies the check was validly written on the account. Dishonoring a valid check is a violation of the account agreement and the Uniform Commercial Code stating the bank must honor a valid note that is surrendered for presentment. So if the bank denied a valid check, your company would require a local attorney (since you cannot represent your company legally in any court matter) to sue the bank for damages for improperly denying your check once you confirmed that it was a valid check.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney