CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

If there is a civil lawsuit filed against me, will i still

Customer Question

if there is a civil lawsuit filed against me, will i still be able to call the lawyer representing the suing company and make arrangements. the civil suit was filed on May 2 , 2016 but i have not been served yet as of today, May 14 ,3016.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.You can always contact the opposing counsel (the only exception to this is if you have retained your own attorney to represent you - if you have your own attorney, the opposing counsel is ethically prohibited from speaking with you directly without your attorney being present).If you are able to reach a settlement with the other party, make sure to get the agreement in writing, and it should include a "dismissal with prejudice" of the civil suit that was filed against you. The other attorney will be able to handle this.