Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im looking to sell curling irons un the US but I wanted

Customer Question
Hi Im looking to sell...
Hi Im looking to sell curling irons un the US but I wanted to find out if I legally need to have an ETL cert to sell or if I can still sell without it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/14/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Are you looking to sell only online?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi! Thanks, ***** ***** will be sold online via website and amazon
Thank you for your reply.
Right now online sales such as that are not really regulated. So no license is necessary and you do not really even need to form a corporation or LLC. There is no retail sales license or anything necessary for online sales, but if you sell to anyone in the state where you are located, you are supposed to be charging and remitting sales tax to the department of revenue for those sales.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do plan on selling in the state Im located in and do plan on paying for taxes. Im mostly concerned with the ETL certification, just in case I need it to save my ass
Thank you for your reply.
The ETL certification is not mandatory, but in the event of a defect or injury from the product, having irons with ETL certification can protect you from liability. So it is not mandatory, but it does offer you protection.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney