How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27181
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is serious, so please hear me out. I was arrested

Customer Question

My question is serious, so please hear me out. I was arrested for having a friend's prescription on me. Its my first time offense. I currently have a privave attorney.
I wish to request the death penalty for my offense. All other options on the table: probabtion, drug court, five years in prison, go beyond my sense of human dignity and what I feel is fair and tolerable.
I realize I need a good argument to present to the courts since this may be seen as an unusual request. I need to know what points the courts may bring up that I must have an effective argument for. I need help with the first part: their argument against. I can do my work on the second part, coming up with my defense to have my request enacted. Any reputable LEO organizations that are grossly against drug offenders that might be on my side for support?
No, I am not mentally ill, nor suicidal. I already explained my reasonings behind my decision. Please do not disregard me as a joke. I am a human being requesing a little info.
Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Can you share with me what statute you are charged under?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 893.03(5) The substance was buprenorphine.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. From strictly a legal standpoint, this is not something that is punishable by the death penalty. A Judge can not impose a sentence that is illegal, so even though a defendant may request a sentence, the Judge can only impose something that is allowed under the law. The law does not allow the death penalty for this, so the only thing the Judge can do upon your request is impose the maximum jail sentence allowed and treatment. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but a Judge can not go outside of what the law allows. Moreover, the sentence imposed is at the discretion of the Judge, so even though you may want a harsh sentence, the Judge may find that it is not necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. However, couldn't a jury go against the judge?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I am sorry but they can not. A Judge imposes the sentence. The jury determines guilty or not guilty for the charges. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!