How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm embarrassed to say how urgent my need is but J need to

Customer Question

I'm embarrassed to say how urgent my need is but J need to file for an extension for medical malpractice that was performed two years ago Sunday. So I pretty much just have today, as idiotic as that sounds.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did and he didn't take the case (I just got the letter today), though it was send registered mail on April 25. Hmm
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Anyway,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Thanks. Sorry I don't brink I finished that I'll pay it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to file an extension in Florida today. But I'm in another state. How can I do this?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Your prior attorney should have advised you that generally,there is no such thing as an extension of the statute of limitations. I do not have time to research Florida law for you at this point. However, you may still have until Monday to file the complaint. If the SofL expiration date is Sunday May 15, then you have until Monday - at least in most states. The trick is to file something that can pass for a complaint which names the correct defendants, because you can't add anybody after the statute has run. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just enough to notify the defendants as to what the case is about.No lawyer wants to get involved in something as complex as a medical malpractice case at the last second before the statute runs. Plus, in most areas there are very few attorneys who actually practice in the medical malpractice area. But in your case if you can find a general practitioner lawyer who does litigation generally,s/he should be able to file something that stops the statute from expiring. I hope that this is helpful information and I wish you the best of luck