How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4181
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got letter saying I'm getting sued but I lost it and only

Customer Question

I got letter saying I'm getting sued but I lost it and only found the envelope
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm with LAPD so we have assigned attorneyd
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm Larry Cameron and the man suing me is David Mahler, who is in prison for murder
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. This is very likely a standard "Civil Rights" 1983 Action from a prisoner claiming that his civil rights were violated. This is a common past time for inmates who have a lot of time on their hands. They file (usually) frivolous complaints from behind prison. As an government employee you enjoy what is called qualified immunity from these suits. This means that they can not successfully sue you unless they can prove that you intentionally violated their Constitutional Rights. The cost of the defense will be paid for by the LAPD. As you say you have been assigned an attorney, probably through the City. That attorney should be contacting you to get information from you and to have you sign some paper work. You can contact that attorneys office if you have questions or concern as about the litigation, or to get a copy of it. If you do not know which attorney the City is using you can probably get that from the internal LAPD counsel. I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald