How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Comacst- I moved and asked . It was not good. i

Customer Question

Comacst- I moved and asked for service. It was not good. i cancelled within my 30 day window. I owe them nothing. They sent me to collections for 700$. I have 4 ticket#s 2 credit numbers and 12 calls into comcast. My credit rating is good. May 1 I start to get collection calls for a bill I dont owe. 3-4 a day. Firm PRM. all documented.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I check my credit score dropped 12 points they put me in collections. I could not get credit card because of this. This is MAJOR harrassment, they pulled my credit score down 12 points. They turn me in for a debt I have never owed and now they have a form calling me 3 times a day. This is ALL documented.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: This is deframation of character just because I responeded to an add!!!!!!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If you cancelled the contract within the terms of the contract's cancellation clause, then you are right you do not owe them anything. If they are reporting this to collections, when you followed your contract terms regarding cancellation, then you would now have to sue them for breach of contract and the damage to your credit score and seek to have not only the debt removed, but also collect for damages for you not being able to get credit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I have to pay a lawyer? Clearly this is illegal. Is there no pertection. This is all documented, I am getting 3 calls a day! My credit score is 700. Im NOT a loser. This is wrong!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.No you are NOT A LOSER, you are someone being abused by an unfair and deceptive practice of Comcast and upon you proving their breach of contract and unfair and deceptive practice and violation of the Fair Credit Reporting and Fair Debt Collection Practices Acts, you can recover any attorney's fees from Comcast since they caused this matter. So while there may be some initial fees for the attorney, when you win your case you can seek to recover those fees as part of your court judgment, since this can be awarded to you by the court under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collection practices Act and also for unfair and deceptive practices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much would it cost to sue them?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Most consumer protection attorneys would want about a $1000 retainer to sue, but again you can seek attorney's fees and even triple damages for the harm they caused you by their unfair acts and breaking your contract.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Your other option would be to file this suit in small claims court yourself, which would mean you would not need an attorney. However, depending on how much money is at stake, if you sue in small claims you are limited by the lower limits of how much you can sue for in small claims court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** about the money. Its about them defaming me and pulling down my credit score because they are inept! This is much bigger than 700$. This is abuse at every level! I own my own business, this conduct is unacceptable! Now I know I really have no protection at all Comcast just runs a muck and no one cares. god bless america!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You can sue them in small claims court for this low amount and you do not need an attorney for small claims. You do have protection, I do not know where you interpreted that you did not as I never said such a thing. So you can sue them in small claims court without an attorney and also can make a complaint to your state attorney general consumer protection unit if you want to get them to try to help you resolve it without suing them.