How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28333
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter will be 17 in June. Currently, her father and I

Customer Question

My daughter will be 17 in June. Currently, her father and I have joint custody with him as the "primary" parent so she could stay in her school. He is very controlling and it is not a good environment for her to be in. She is in counseling. Can she when she turns 17 decide which parent she wants to live with full time without court involvement? If not, what do we need to do for her to be able to live with me (mom) full time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At 17, she can not decide which parent she wants to live with. However, the Judge can certainly consider her wishes and rule based upon her best interest. In this case, if the father is unwilling to agree and modify custody, then a motion would need to be filed by you. In the body of the motion, you need to show and explain to the Judge why she is better off with you at this time and the Judge can speak with her, as I shared above. The Judge must rule and order it.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify, before you rate me above. I am here to help, so please just let me know.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.