How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13642
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex has a sex tape of us and I'm afraid he is going to post

Customer Question

My ex has a sex tape of us and I'm afraid he is going to post it and I want him to delete it, but i don't think he will, what can i do?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I don't know any in my area. And I don't have any money. I'm just looking for advice.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: We were in a relationship for four years. Engaged even. The relationship ended on extremely bad terms and my ex even tried getting me put in prison for stealing from him, which i did not do. All charges were dropped by the prosecutor when she looked at all of the evidence.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.At this point, based on the facts, you're in a position where you can't really do anything. The tape was made with the consent of both parties. A court cannot make him stop doing something that he hasn't done and may not do (and if he has common sense, won't do). If he does post it online, immediately contact the sites and ask them to have it removed. You would then have a claim against your ex for invasion of privacy, and grounds to seek an injunction (court order) to prevent him posting it again elsewhere. In some jurisdictions, it could possibly even be considered criminal harassment if he posts it all over social media. Now, if he threatens to post it unless you do something for him (e.g., give him money, buy him a new car, whatever), then you're talking about extortion, which is a criminal offense, and for that, you'd want to file a police report against him.If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating before signing out by clicking on the stars/happy faces, so that I am credited for my time this evening. Thank you.