How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was meant to appear as a witness today in a civil case .

Customer Question

I was meant to appear as a witness today in a civil case . I was paid 60 dollars to cover my expenses . I made a mistake with the date and did not go . I just realized now what will happen and what should I do .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Were you subpoenaed? If so, look on the subpoena and contact the person that issued it and ask tell them what happened. Wait to hear what the response is. If the case settled, then you may not have to worry about it. Otherwise, I would suggest that you go as soon as possible before the judge and explain that you made a mistake and that you are very sorry. See what the judge does, if anything. If the judge issued a bench warrant for your arrest, then you will need to find out what the consequences are and pay whatever fines the judge may have issued.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I in a lot of trouble
Is it normal to get arrested or will they probably give me another chance
And if I get arrested how bad will it be
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Since it was a mistake, probably not much trouble. But this is why you need to show up in court asap and apologize. Otherwise, it will look like it was done on purpose. If a warrant for your arrest issues, then you will need to hire a lawyer to quash that or just turn yourself in and face the consequences. "Failure to comply with a subpoena issued and acknowledged pursuant to this section may be punished as a contempt and the subpoena may so state." The judge decides what that means. So, if you get arrested it could mean fines or jail time but since this is civil contempt, there does not appear to be a preset punishment. The law is here.