Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have been married years and I am about to go through

Customer Question
I have been married for...
I have been married for 18 years and I am about to go through a tough divorce. My husband has denied me access to money that is taken out of his paycheck and put into the credit union since the account was created. It was created so we could get a loan from the credit union to purchase a car. They took $192.00 from each paycheck (2 a month) and then used the $384.00 to make the car payment. Once it was paid off, he continued to have the money taken out and put in the credit union. However, he refused to allow me to access the money. He would also hide the statement that came every 3 months showing the balance. I had to come up with a way to know how much money was in there. I zeroed the account in a Microsoft Word document. Then when I would ask him to get money to put in our checking account, I would subtract that from the balance I determined. Tons of times I would ask him to withdraw a certain amount and he would laugh and say we don't have that much in there. He would tell me that "I don't have a F-ing clue how much money is in there. It was a way to control and abuse me. He also severely abused me emotionally that I was ready to commit suicide. When I was at this point, he was an executor for his Uncle's Will and had to purchase a month of use from Legal Depot. He started to write up my Will, he would keep asking me what items I want to leave to people and who that person is. The only item he knew about was a purple amethyst ring I wanted to go to my niece Heather. He kept pushing and pushing me for information he needed to fill out the will. I told him I did not want to do it this way and that I wanted a lawyer to review it. He then told me that for a fee, an attorney will review it. I just refused to answer his questions and he finally stopped asking them. Right now I am trying to get him to move out, he is cheating on me and because I document everything and I am observant, information I have gathered over the years that didn't make sense to me, once I found her numbers in an online account he created for my FIOS bill (bill is in my name only) without my knowledge. The phone was used only for my 11 year old son to be able to call us. The volume was down & I never answered it because it was always telemarketers. We did not give this number to anyone. He was using this phone to talk to her secretly (then go online and delete the number), she would leave voice mail messages for him and he also created an e-mail address in the account to communicate with her. Needless to say, we are in a messy divorce. I went to his work and waited for him today and to make a long story short, I now know she works at the Irvin Works Credit Union and I know what she looks like. This angered him and so to punish me, he locked me out of viewing the amount of money in the credit union. In order for me to find out how much money was in there, I created an online account. I needed to know how much was in there just in case I needed to use some of it for the bills. This is when I also discovered that there was thousands of dollars missing that was unaccounted for. He had a checking account with a MAC card giving him access to these funds whenever he wanted to. I was struggling just to pay the basic monthly bills. He would yell at me for spending $30.00 on hot curlers (I contribute $1700.00 a month with my Social Security and I raised his 3 kids from ages 1.5, 3.5 and 8.5 and they are all in their 20's now. After he yelled at me, he would slip when talking about something regarding the kids and this is when I would find things out. When he yelled at me for buying hot curlers, he had spent 45.00 on a radiator for his daughter and radiator fluid for $13.00. When he yelled at me about the curlers, I brought up her car and he said "I only spent $13.00 on fluid, you spent over $30.00. He left out the purchase of the used radiator to make me feel guilty and that I had done something wrong. I have bipolar depression and when he would play head games with me (this was the mildest) which was throwing me into a major depression.
Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to have a little background information before I asked my question. Because he was livid that I caught him cheating and now he knows that I know what she looks like. She works for the credit union and he told me he was making a deposit when I saw his car there. He came home and locked me out of the online account, so now I can't see how much money is in there or how much he is taking out and using for things I know nothing about or giving his mistress money. I struggle to pay the main bills each month and this is marital money.
IS HE ALLOWED TO DENY ME ACCESS TO THIS MONEY AND MY ABILITY TO SEE HOW MUCH IS IN THERE? If this is against the law in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, what can I do to legally regain access to this money? Is this a crime and if so, what is the punishment for it? What steps do I take in order to hold him accountable for doing this to me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/11/2016
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question.
He could not deny you access if you were named on the account. Since you are not account you want not be able to get account information from the credit union. That being said this does not mean that you are not entitied to be made aware of his finances.
If your divorce has already been filed you can subpoena this information and he would have to comply or be held in contempt of court.
This is a link for a sample subpoena http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter4000/s4009.26.html
Fortunately there are attorneys that provide pro bono (FREE) services. Let me provide you with links for legal assistance.
https://www.justia.com/lawyers/divorce/pennsylvania/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services
I am sorry that you are in this situation. Yes once you file you can have the court order production of all of his financial information. Yes there are consequences and punishment if he fails to comply. This is worth pursuing and you have every right to do so. Is he physically abusive?
Are you still with me?
Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney