Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I got cash sent in express mail bitcoin trade. 5 packages.

Customer Question

I got cash sent in express mail for a bitcoin trade. 5 packages. They seized it and going to open the packs now. And call me back. What do i need to tell them?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me: 1) Who has your package? ICE, the USPS inspector General, etc?2) Was the trade legal? I mean, what was the basis of the deal?3) Where did the package come from - overseas? If so, what country?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its usps, so yes i think its was usps inspector general. As far as i know bitcoin trades are legal right? Packages came from the east coast US
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Bitcoin is legal. Using bitcoin to purchase things is legal. However, bitcoin has been used in illegal trades and black market, so using it draws the attention of authorities. Sending money in the mail is legal. However, this is often done as part of shady deals as well, so doing so draws the attention of authorities. So you can see why they would be interested in the package. If someone in your situation has done nothing wrong, then one can explain what happened clearly and openly and explain that everything was lawful. Using an attorney is recommended. While you may not have done anything illegal, who know what the other party may or may not have done so one may be suspected in something simply by association and the fact that there is cash coming in the mail, bitcoin is involved, etc. But in the end, nothing that has been done sounds like it is illegal - from your end. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if i tell them that it was for a bitcoin trade they should release the money back to me or not?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
What exactly was the trade? Was it bitcoin for money? Or... what was the transaction about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. They sent me money and I go out to buy bitcoin with their cash. As on the west coast it is much cheaper to buy bitcoins then on the east coast
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Ah, okay. There may be complications. See HERE. While you were not transferring money per se and generally not illegal per se, someone in your situation may have been required to get some kind of licensure prior to doing this. While the link is an extreme case, caution is urged. Therefore, it is recommended that someone in your situation: -be open and honest about the issue and provide proof of the agreement behind the transaction if necessary, but also-have an attorney do the talking on your behalf, so as to make sure to minimize any damage. I WOULD NOT CONTACT USPS WITHOUT COUNSEL. Even if this means delaying the matter a bit while looking for counsel. Provided the authorities are satisfied nothing wrong was done, they should release the money. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At this point i dont need anything else thank you
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.