How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27487
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think that my adult sister is an addict and her life is in

Customer Question

I think that my adult sister is an addict and her life is in danger. She has a husband. Is there anything in IL that family (mom, dad, sibling) can do to get her under care without consent?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Just starting the process
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. Her weight has been on a steady decline and she doesn't look like she has much time left, but feels fine and doesn't want care
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Every state has a provision for involuntary emergency civil commitment. This can be done by court order or initiated by any peace officer. The family can, therefore, contact your sister's local police and tell them that your sister is a danger to herself or others and that you fear for her life. The police can bring her to a psychiatric facility where she can be held for 72 hours and evaluated. The authorization for that in Illinois is found in the following statutes: 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-701(a), 5/3-751(a), 5/3-601(a), 5/3-606, 5/3-607 If it is found that she is indeed a danger to herself, they can keep her beyond the evaluation period and treat her, or they can release her with a referral to a program, depending upon what their evaluation deems best.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.