How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Small claims advice. Person borrowed money last year. Says

Customer Question

Small claims advice. Person borrowed money last year. Says she will not repay. She moved to Gresham, Or last week. Can I have her served in Or for my claim here in Vancouver?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
The loan was initiated in Vancouver, which if memory serves me is in Canada, or at least it was when I visited there. Unless Canada has some "long arm" jurisdiction laws that would apply to someone moving from there to the US, you will have to bring suit against her in small claims court in Oregon where she now lives. The best thing for you to do is check with a Vancouver collection firm to see what your best course of action is. They most likely have US firms in Washington and Oregon that they correspond and refer cases to. It's very possible that they will be able to handle it for you in the US.