Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I had a small claims suit and lost with a boat broker. I did

Customer Question

I had a small claims suit and lost with a boat broker. I did not have a lawyer. judgement was for approx. 14,000. If I send them a check for a lesser amount and write on the check full and final settlement and they cash it is the claim satisfied?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Writing "paid in full" as a way of erasing a debt only works if there is a genuine dispute as to whether a debt is owed. When someone has a judgment against you, there is not a genuine dispute, and that means the words "paid in full" would not have any effect. Also, the other party has the ability to write "Without Prejudice" above their signature, and that would preserve their right to seek the remaining balance, even if there was a dispute. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?