How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a small claims suit and lost with a boat broker. I did

Customer Question

I had a small claims suit and lost with a boat broker. I did not have a lawyer. judgement was for approx. 14,000. If I send them a check for a lesser amount and write on the check full and final settlement and they cash it is the claim satisfied?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Writing "paid in full" as a way of erasing a debt only works if there is a genuine dispute as to whether a debt is owed. When someone has a judgment against you, there is not a genuine dispute, and that means the words "paid in full" would not have any effect. Also, the other party has the ability to write "Without Prejudice" above their signature, and that would preserve their right to seek the remaining balance, even if there was a dispute. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?