How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117457
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have paid a web developer $5100 to build a website. He said

Customer Question

We have paid a web developer $5100 to build a website. He said he could complete the work in 3 months. Six months later, the work is not completed. We need to move on, but we cannot get the files from him (for the partially completed website) that would allow us to move forward. The developer refuses to take our phone calls and he will not answer emails. His brick and mortar office has closed (he is now working from a home office.)
We do have a contract with him, but it doesn't specify how to proceed in cases of nonresponsiveness from the developer.
We are at a loss for how to get the work we have paid for. Which kind of lawyer do we need to contact?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if he has failed to perform, you would now need a general litigation attorney and would have to sue him for breach of contract to recover the costs of what it will take to complete the job as well as the files and access to the site necessary to do so. Since he is not responding to you, time for trying to negotiate is pretty much done and the final recourse is you will have to sue him for the return of the files as well as costs and damages you incurred as a result of him breaching the contract with you.