How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pawned my title to my truck .00 I've made 4 payments

Customer Question

i pawned my title to my truck for 2500.00 I've made 4 payments and want to pay it off early the pay off is higher they said they can collect all expected interest if loan had been carried to full term.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What, if anything, does your contract say about prepayment or penalties?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No early pay off penalty
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Does it say there IS no penalty? Or just not mention one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But according to predictor lending laws is this not illegal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
It depends on what the contract says. There are a lot of things that aren't generally illegal but could be prohibited by the agreement you signed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If the contract only says that you agree to repay the principle plus X% of interest, that's interest on the balance outstanding on the loan. They wouldn't have any basis for arguing that you owe interest beyond that date unless the contract provides for it (which is very rare). Ask them to show you where the agreement says you have to pay the interest even if the loan is paid early. If they can't, they need to accept your payoff amount and release the title. The other option, if you need the title now, is to pay what they're asking, write "Under protest" on the check, and then sue for a refund.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?