How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34091
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was slandered, libel, fallsy accused by a tenant in my complex.

Customer Question

I was slandered, libel, fallsy accused by a tenant in my complex. I do not know why, she slaughtered me to the town police. Was charged with filing false police reports (A&B, stabbing). I never got any closure on what happened to her. I went to many trial, and she was a no show. I was never told if she was punished. She has no $$ but I would like to freak her out and take her to court for all of the pain and anguish she caused.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. If the police reports were not made in good faith then you may have a claim for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and, 4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement. This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise: is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** maybe let it rest. Which, is awful, because I was constantly being "visited" by the police and write ups on local paper Police logs, indicated me (No name).
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You should at least send a cease and desist. You may also want to speak with the county prosecutor about this person making false police reports, which is a prosecutable offense.You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Posted in error.