How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A former friend who disappeared left his vw on my drive way.

Customer Question

A former friend who disappeared left his vw on my drive way. I cannot locate the person
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is ***** ***** I am an Attorney. I will be glad to Answer your question and the only thing I ask of you is that you leave a positive rating. This will not cost you anything additional, and it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. 1. Are you asking what you should do about the car left in your driveway ? 2. How long ago did your former friend leave his car in your driveway ? 3. Did your friend ask you to look after his car, and if so, for how long ? Thank you, ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I would like to have the car be removed from my drive way2. The car has been left in my drive way about 3 months3. My so called house guest disappeared without notice. He also left a bicycle in my backyard and items in my garage
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
ANSWER - In these situations, the law requires that you follow certain steps in order to absolve yourself of all liability. Write a letter to this individual. Send it by Certified Mail, Return receipt requested and send it to his last known address. Notify him in that letter that he/she has 30 days to claim and remove his property and if they fail to do so, you will be forced to remove them yourself, give them to the Salvation Army or any other charity organization, or put all the items in the trash, and you will not be liable any further to that individual. If you do not receive a response to your letter and 30 days have elapsed, then you can dispose of whatever items were left on your property without any liability on your part. Please be kind enough to leave a Positive Rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you, Bonus is greatly appreciated, Kindest regards, ANDREA
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you would like to ask, or need clarification ? If not, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for answering your question. This will not cost you anything additional, but a rating is required so that JustAnswer will give me credit. Thank you for understanding. Kindest Regards, ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any information on the address or where about of the individual. He is completely off the radar
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
In that case here is what you have to do. If you know his former address (where he lived immediately before he came to leave his personal property at your house), then write a letter according to the sample I have typed for you below and send it to your post office. The letter should be along the following lines -TO: POSTMASTER US POST OFFICE ADDRESS OF YOUR POST OFFICE WITH THE ZIPCODE RE: TYPE YOUR FRIEND'S NAME HER ​Dear Postmaster: Please furnish me with the current address of the following individual whose former address is provided below his name:- NAME OF YOUR FRIEND FORMER ADDRESS I am enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope for your convenience. I am also enclosing a check in the amount of $ ____.00 for your fee.Thank you,YOUR NAME HERE It's strange, but some post offices charge a fee of $5.00 and I have always had to pay that amount. But recently, I needed a current address and called the post office where I was sending the letter to make sure the fee had not gone up, but I was told that they did not charge a fee. I was surprised because I could not imagine different policies in the postal service. but it is always best to call and check ahead of time to see if there is a fee and if so, what the amount of the fee is. PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO LEAVE A POSITIVE RATING. IT WILL NOT COST YOU ANYTHING ADDITIONAL, AND IT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT JUSTANSWER KNOWS THAT I ASSISTED YOU AND WILL GIVE ME CREDIT,BONUS IS NOT REQUIRED, BUT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, Kind regards, ANDREA