Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm going on a trip to Cuba. I'm told that Americans must bring

Customer Question
cash but I hear that...
I'm going on a trip to Cuba. I'm told that Americans must bring cash but I hear that the fee charged to exchange American dollars for CUCs is high in comparison to those charged for other currencies. Is that true? Is there an advantage to converting dollars into Euros, Canadian dollars, or any other currency before leaving the US to then convert to CUCs in Cuba? Is it advised to convert some money to CUPs in Cuba to take advantage of lower prices available to locals?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/8/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.It is advisable to bring Euros or Canadian dollars, as there is a 10% surcharge, in addition to the 3% transaction fee, to convert US dollars to CUCs.You can convert some cash to CUPs when you are there. There is no real advantage, though. Both types of Pesos, CUC and CUP, are legal tender in Cuba and both are completely available to anyone – including foreigners – with no restrictions whatsoever . You can exchange your CUC for CUP at any bank and most non-resort and non-airport Cadecas.
Tina, Lawyer