Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

We have an appeal the defendant is illiterate, and did not

Customer Question

We have an appeal the defendant is illiterate, and did not understand his first hearing, the RECORD of the hearing clearly indicates this, as well a sfamily members
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I AM making a draft of a Brief for him and it will be reviewed by a lawyer
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes that we don't have the luxury of time, and that he is not committed to handling the case. I asked him to assist in preparing the good cause, he said it was a lost case, BUT it was accepted and now we are at the Brief part that must be submitted on May 11
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. I want to make sure I can help you. I am an appellate attorney but I do civil cases. Despite that, I might still be able to help you. What state is this in and can you give me a little background about the case itself?
Hello, I just want to make sure I can help you before I accept that. I'm not a criminal appellate attorney so if this is criminal I would have to research it. I just wanted to see if this is something I can help you with. There aren't a lot of appellate attorneys here and I don't want you to have to pay for a phone call if I can't help you.
This is based on a criminal case?
I wanted to ask you if you have a specific question regarding the appeal process or something similar to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok calling and researching law now my self
I will opt out an let another expert help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not calling you but someone else need someone who knows criminal law
okay, understood, which is why I didn't want to take a phone call if I couldn't help you. Best of luck.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.
New Expert here. What is your question? Did the defendant have an attorney during the trial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he did not I filled good cause and was given an appeal because he is illiterate he cannot read English and the interpreter was very unqualified as per the RECORD the transcript of the first hearing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know Michigan Law for the Michigan Court of Appeals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the law I have read the Michigan Consumer Protection Act MCL 445.902 Sec 3. (1) b and x MCL 445.901 et sew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seq
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.
The Consumer Protection Act is posted athttp://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(khey5wp2d2143bgo4ozbitao))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Act-331-of-1976but I do not see how it applies to a criminal case. Please describe what happened.