How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step-mother went out of town and left my dad, who is entering

Customer Question

My step-mother went out of town and left my dad, who is entering late stage Alzhiemers alone for 4 days, stating she needed a break. My sister tried texting her the day she planned to leave to see if she had really gone. When my step-mother didn't respond, I texted my step-mother, telling her I was concerned about my father and if I didn't her back from her, I would call the police to check on him.
My step-mother berated me, telling me it was none of my business and she demanded an apology. I gave her one to keep the peace. She then told me I could no longer come to their house to see my father. Then she stated she took me out of the will.
My step-mother is an alcoholic driving all day and night drunk. I am afraid she is unstable and is unable to care for my Dad. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..If father's condition has deteriorated to a point where he needs long term care, then if the stepmother won't take any action and is putting him at risk, then you could call adult protective services and let them know that you think father is not receiving adequate care and they will come out and investigate. If they find that he is not receiving proper care then they can take action and go to the court to get an order from a judge taking him into protective custody so that he can receive the care he needs..The other action that you could take is you or another sibling could petition the court for a legal guardianship over father. That would allow you to essentially take control over father's life and his care and give you the legal authority to make decisions that are in father's best interests....thanksBarrister