Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Am i responsible spouses medical bills and a credit

Customer Question
Am i responsible for my...
Am i responsible for my spouses medical bills and a credit card bill that is not in my name once they pass ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/6/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney
Good morning Carol. My name is ***** ***** look forward to helping you. Florida is not a community property state. If spouses never resided in a community property state, and only one spouse signed the loan contract (such as a credit card agreement), then the signatory-spouse is the only party liable for the debt. The other spouse, being the non-signatory spouse, does not share in such liabilities of the signing spouse. So, a surviving spouse has no responsibility for such debt. But, to the extent your late spouse's estate has any probate assets, those would be subject to the creditor claims. But, that only includes probate assets. Assets that are not probate assets are: i) joint accounts which vest automatically in the surviving joint owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants with right of survivorship or as tenancy by the entirety, which property vests automatically in the surviving owner; and iii) assets with named beneficiaries, such as retirement plans and life insurance policies. None of these are probate assets and thus are not subject to the claims of the creditors of the deceased spouse. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney