How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118762
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a hospital bill that I was told to pay 295.00. They

Customer Question

I have a hospital bill that I was told to pay 295.00. They enter the wrong code into the system , alone with typing error with the insurance I'd. They said that they have been trying to get this handle . Now they are trying to make me pay 4853.00 for there mistake. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to write them a final letter telling them you dispute the debt as inaccurate and to cease and desist all communications with you regarding the debt unless they can send proof of the debt as required by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them if they cannot prove the debt and the proper coding and they continue to harass you, then you will sue them pursuant to the FDCPA for damages including attorney's fees and you will file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission.
If they continue to pursue this, then you need to get a local consumer protection law attorney and file suit against them.