I have a hospital bill that I was told to pay 295.00. They…

Customer Question
I have a hospital bill...
I have a hospital bill that I was told to pay 295.00. They enter the wrong code into the system , alone with typing error with the insurance I'd. They said that they have been trying to get this handle . Now they are trying to make me pay 4853.00 for there mistake. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
5/5/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to write them a final letter telling them you dispute the debt as inaccurate and to cease and desist all communications with you regarding the debt unless they can send proof of the debt as required by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them if they cannot prove the debt and the proper coding and they continue to harass you, then you will sue them pursuant to the FDCPA for damages including attorney's fees and you will file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission.
If they continue to pursue this, then you need to get a local consumer protection law attorney and file suit against them.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney