Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What my Alcoholic husband has done to himself has effected

Customer Question
me in many ways. To the...
What my Alcoholic husband has done to himself has effected me in many ways.
To the point where I hate him, since the government says Alcoholism is a disease,
but I don't agree. How would this be treated in the courts if I considered a divorce, we have been married 48 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/5/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
The courts do not see alcoholism in any unique category but they do view it as a grounds for a divorce especially since there is abuse usually associated with it. When one party is deemed at fault in the divorce, the court will consider broader discretion in dividing the marital assets.
I work in Texas and have practiced family law for 4-5 years.
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer