How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While visiting my child on campus, I witnessed a student being

Customer Question

While visiting my child on campus, I witnessed a student being robbed. I began to pull forward and honk my horn to draw attention. The perp then jumped into a getaway vehicle and rammed into my car twice. My new car has excessive damages and not 1 campus officer was around until after the fact. My younger daughter and I were injured and my insurance has been handling everything. Two weeks later, my daughter's roommate attempted to attack her with a taser then screwdriver. This was in retaliation after my daughter reported her smoking pot inside the dorm.The girls had a physical altercation and were detained by campus police then transferred to county. The school failed to provide a new room assignment. If they had done so, the incident wouldn't have happened. My child has been a good student, debutante, intern & inducted into the collegiate society. She now has an arrest record and court date over her head. Can I sue for damages?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.How is the car accident related to the arrest of your daughter?Why was your daughter arrested if she was the victim and what criminal charges are pending against your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 2 separate incidents. The 1st occurred on 4/16 and the other 4/28 on the same campus. The hit & run accident that occurred during the robbery involved myself & younger daughter.The 2nd incident - my child was attacked then arrested for defending herself. The charge was called "affray" and no court date has been set. The student who attacked her has since been expelled for pot use and attempting to use & possession of a weapon on campus.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up.While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, the college would not be liable for any crime that occurred on their campus, such as the situation in the first incident, unless the college employees were perpetrating the crime or were somehow involved in the perpetration of the crime.Also, generally, until and unless the criminal charge gets dismissed or the defendant gets acquitted, there would not be any potential legal claim against the college or campus police for wrongful arrest.I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There wasn't adequate campus security, otherwise that robbery and others wouldn't have occurred. I'm definitely taken aback by your response. The school failed to provideca safe environment during 2 separate incidents and I'm stuck with bills? It's a definite insult. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up.Unfortunately, crime happens in even most secure places, so generally, there is no way for any campus to prevent any and all crime and thus the college would generally not be held legally liable for damages in the incidents, similar to the ones you have described.However, if the criminal charges are dismissed or the defendant is acquitted of the criminal charge, then it might be possible to pursue a claim for wrongful arrest.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!