Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm currently on disability & have been years. We just

Customer Question
I'm currently on disability &...
I'm currently on disability & have been for 2 years. We just had our 10th anniversary Feb 28th. Will my husband have to pay me alimony?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
5/5/2016
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Were you disabled when you married your husband?What is your income and what is your husband's income?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I was not. I have fought severe depression & PTSD for all of my adulthood & I finally lost it on January 14th 2014. He's the one that suggesteducation I apply for disability. He said, "you can't work." So I applied never imagining I would get it from hearing all the horror stories of people fighting for disability for years. Much to my surprise, I got my 1st check within 4 months of my 1st phone interview. On July 1st I will have been on disability for 2 years.
What is your income and what is your husband's income?Are you filing or plan to file for the divorce?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get $1499/month & my husband is self employed & he's not very motivated so he makes as much as he wants to work. He averages around $50,000/year. He doesn't have any debt other than his house payment which is only $670/month & he only owes $30,000 on the house. He just received an inheritance of $300,000 which I know is untouchable in a divorce. I've asked to be able to stay until July 1 because I will be eligible for Medicare then & I will only have to pay around $130/month versus the $500/ month I currently pay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ate least want to leave with the equivalent of what I brought into the marriage which was a brand new 4Runner which he just traded in on a cheap RAV4 & all my furniture that is now gone.
Thank you for your follow up.Did you or your husband file for divorce yet?Did you consult and retain an experienced local family law attorney to represent you in your upcoming divorce?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No because we haven't separated yet. He just told me yesterday that he's reached his limit which is fine with me because I don't think I ever loved him in the 1st place.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's 11 years older than I am & I think that's alot of the problem. He's thinking retirement & I'm not there yet mentally.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's 62 & I'm 51. I was forewarned that he was very cheap but he did buy me an $8,000 engagement ring. That's why I married him... I felt obligated....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So I guess the bot***** *****ne is, do I have more rights since we've been married 10 years?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could get a FREE consultation with an attorney but I chose this route instead.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I probably should have gone with the free consultation
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can tell you don't have the information or the time. I would like to request a refund
Thank you for your follow up.Please understand that this service is limited to general answers to JustAnswer.com customers and also, I can't always reply right away to the customer's post, since I might be helping another customer, taking a break or had to step away from my computer. With that said, please let me know if you would like me to proceed with the answer to your question or if not, you can request a refund from JustAnswer.com customer service.Thank you.
Tina, Lawyer