How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20228
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husbands girlfriend apparantly works at my dental office.

Customer Question

My ex husbands girlfriend apparantly works at my dental office. We got in a fight about paying for our childrens drivers training. He said i could afford it if i didnt spend $700 at the dentist to get my teeth whitened. I asked him how he knew that and he admitted his girlfriend works there and told him. I said that is a hippa violation of my privacy as i am a nurse and i am going to file with the state. He said he would just lie and say he never said that to me. How do i proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid it will be my word against the 2 of them. I want the fullest punishment available but dont even know how to start the process. Should i file a complaint myself or hire someone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. We cannot provide legal advice, as stated on the Site in several locations, since we cannot form an attorney-client relationship via this forum. So, I can't tell you what to do. However, I can discuss the law and your options. You are correct that the information you mentioned is covered by HIPAA. It is important to note though that HIPAA does not provide for any private cause of action for a violation. The dental practice can be fined by the HHS but you can't file suit for a violation. You have a couple of options with the violation. One is to report the violation to the Dentist who owns the practice. That could result in self-reporting by the practice and possibly termination of your ex's girlfriend. You could also file a complaint with the HHS and can find that information at the following link: All that said, you could consult with a local personal injury attorney who takes non-physical injury torts about filing suit against this woman for invasion of privacy. Those are your options. There is always an issue of whether or not there is evidence to support your complaint, however, as long as there is no legitimate reason why you would make this up, your statement should be investigated and action taken. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically this is the site that pulled up for free for me to file a complaint. The info received was not helpful at all
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I can't say how you got to the Site, but our services are not free, we do this for a living. I don't work for the Site directly and can refer you to customer service if you have a question about what you agreed to, but I am scratching my head about your response about not being helpful. I discussed your options and the law, so not sure how that is not responsive or helpful as that is all there is, law and options.