legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

What is the law in Nor thampton co.,NC about minors driving unlicensed go-carts, and golf

Customer Question

what is the law in Nor
thampton co.,NC about minors driving unlicensed go-carts, and golf carts on, or beside the highway?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
For roads with a 35 mph speed limit, the counties are free to adopt regulations re; the use of golf cards.§ 160A-300.6. Regulation of golf carts on streets, roads, and highways. (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-54, a city may, by ordinance, regulate the operation of golf carts, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(12a), on any public street, road, or highway where the speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less within its municipal limits or on any property owned or leased by the city. (b) By ordinance, a city may require the registration of golf carts, charge a fee for the registration, specify who is authorized to operate golf carts, and specify the required equipment, load limits, and the hours and methods of operation of golf carts. No person less than 16 years of age may operate a golf cart on a public street, road, or highway. (2009-459, s. 3.)Here is a model ordinance proposed by the government. https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Teppl/TEPPL%20All%20Documents%20Library/A-5o.pdf Here is the state regulation for counties that did not pass any ordinances:§ 20-121.1. Operation of a low-speed vehicle on certain roadways. The operation of a low-speed vehicle is authorized with the following restrictions: (1) A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour. (2) A low-speed vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number. (3) A low-speed vehicle shall be registered and insured in accordance with G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-309. (4) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles on any road or highway if it determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety. (5) Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. § 571.500. (2001-356, s. 5.) I could not find any authority that would permit a minor to drive it on public roads. I could only find authority precluding children under the age of 16 from driving golf carts.http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/yep.htmand the specific statute is here:"§ 153A-245. Regulation of golf carts on streets, roads, and highways. (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-54, a county may, by ordinance, regulate the operation of golf carts, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(12a), on any public street, road, or highway where the speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less within the county that is located in any unincorporated areas of the county or on any property owned or leased by the county. (b) By ordinance, a county may require the registration of golf carts, charge a fee for the registration, specify who is authorized to operate golf carts, and specify the required equipment, load limits, and the hours and methods of operation of golf carts. No person less than 16 years of age may operate a golf cart on a public street, road, or highway." Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Hi; just checking in to see how everything worked out;thank you for using JA and I hope the information was helpful. Thank you!