How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Business/Corporate question: I am incorporated as an S

Customer Question

Business/Corporate question:
I am incorporated as an S Corp in Illinois.
Have moved to TN
Questions I need answers to:
1. Can I transfer an IL corp to TN?
2. Can I keep the same Federal ID? I'd like to as I have resale Tax numbers in quite a few states under this Federal ID.
3. Can I change the format of the corporation to an LLC and can I change the name slightly? like: from Londa's Creative Threads to Londa's Creative Sewing
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, the way to do this is to merge old corporation into the new one. There will be no change for federal tax purposes; but the merged corporation would cease to exist in its original state. 2. Yes.You will need an agreement and plan of merger like this one; You will need a TN certificate of merger for which I could not find a form online; so contact the Sec of State in TN.Once that is done; you will need to file this in IL. 3. Yes, this can be done pursuant to Sections 48-21-111 and Section 48-249-703 of the Tennessee Code. You will need to use this form AFTER you have merged the IL S-corp into a TN S-corp.