How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118086
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a small non profit in the Village of Butler, WI.

Customer Question

I am a small non profit in the Village of Butler, WI. Four the past 4 years I have operated "Hot Rods on Hampton" a very successful car show. (The only thing happening here) This year a local business applied for the street permit before I did. Is there anything I can do to stop him from using my name. "Hot Rods on Hampton" I did register it with the state of Wisconsin. Also, I operate the local Farmers Market which the village forced me to become a non profit to operate on municipal property. Shouldn't the same hold true for this event?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you registered your name in WI and have been using it as a business, then the other party cannot use your name and you can send him a notice to cease and desist and demand he stop using the name. If he refuses to stop, you can sue him and get an injunction against him to stop him from using your name. You cannot stop him from getting a permit and running the event, but you can stop him from using your name and that would be basis to sue him for damages. As far as getting the non-profit, if he is running it on public property, then they can make him get that too.