How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of ct. A person (husband) sold me his wife

Customer Question

i live in the state of ct. A person (husband) sold me his wife car. she is out of state in a program. I spoke with her. She gave her husband permission to sell her car. He signed her name to the title. I want to make everything legal. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if the husband can sign for his spouse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially he told me that he bought the car for his wife. He was driving it and had his child in the car. On the window he had painted in white car for sale and the price $2,500. I asked about the car. Looked it over and decided to buy it. He insisted on cash. I told him needed a paper trail. We went to the bank I paid for a money order $2,500. He cashed the money order using his drivers license for identification. When we went to complete the paperwork I pointed out the owner needed to sign the title. He signed his wifes name. I told him I didn't feel comfortable. He called his mother in law who said he could sell the car. He called his wife in the california program and had her call me. she said it was alright for her husband to sell the car. i have to go to work will complete on Thursday. is that alright?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank youIF the car is titled to his spouse (her name is ***** ***** title) and he wants to sell the car, SHE will need to sign off on the title UNLESS she has provided him a "power of attorney". IF she signed off on a power of attorney, giving him the power to sign her name? Then he can sign off on the title. But if he does not have a POA? She will need to sign off on the title Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.