How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have very complicated questions and I hope you can help me.

Customer Question

I have very complicated questions and I hope you can help me. First I have lost or possibly thrown away an envelope I had with my social security card, my passport and birth certificate. I wanted to know how do I get a duplicate social security card and duplicate birth certificate with my only ID is my drivers license? Also on my birth certificate my mother didnt know how to spell John so she spelled it Jhonny my middle name being Thomas last name Calvo. I used Thomas for the past twenty five... thirty years....everyone just called me TC so it stuck. I got my commercial license in Thomas Calvo and now they ask for other ID to renew medical card on it and I dont have any other ID to show motor vehicle. Do I need any other ID but my license to get my social security card? My license wont match my birth certificate so how can I get a duplicate birth certificate? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your help.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no thought I could get some advice on what to do.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I have been a commercial driver for many years and I have to take medical tests every six months because of my diabetes. I worked for one company for over twenty five years until they downsized the older workers who made too much money when they heard talk of union.Now I have been working with this other company for maybe ten ...twelve or more years. Since I drive commercial trucks I have to get tested every six months. I just did my tests and have to take them to motor vehicle to show I can drive but they need to see other ID which I do not have since losing my social security card,passport and birth I m trying to get duplicates but everyone wants another form of ID to show.....I just dont know which or if any I can get, Please help. Thank you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Is this going to cost me for an answer to my question?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to contact your Bureau of Vital Records and obtain a duplicate birth certificate before you do anything. Second, you would then have to go to the SSA and apply for a duplicate SS card. Once you have those, you can then obtain a driver's license in the proper name and a passport. As far a using your middle name that is still appropriate and you can still continue to do so.
Furthermore, if you want to correct or change your name, once you get the duplicate birth certificate and SS card, you can file a petition for name change in the court and the court can issue an order to change your name to Thomas Calvo and drop Jhonny from your name if you really want, but because Thomas is your middle name it is really not necessary.