How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3999
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my sisters daughter and her boyfriend 'temporarily"

Customer Question

I have my sisters daughter and her boyfriend 'temporarily" staying here, they are causing problems, the do not get mail here and do not pay rent, nor utilities and eat all my food. How do i get them out of here, they won't leave?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: My sisters daughter is mean, verbally abusive to me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. Once you ask a hosue guest to leave and they refuse to do so they become trespassers. As such the law in most states empowers the police to remove them. But in most instances if you call the police they will tell you that this is a Civil Matter and they will not force them to leave. Even though they are not paying rent, the technically correct way to remove them depends on which state you reside in. Depending upon the State that you are in you may have to have them evicted. You do this by providing them written notice (as if you are a landlord) and then filing a summons and complaint with the local magisterial court (Small Claims Court). The Clerk of the court will have the forms that you need. In some states, you do not need to go to court, but simply provide 10 days written Notice to vacate the premises. After which you can contact the Sheriff to have them removed. Alternatively, you can take the risk that they will sue you for unlawful eviction by simply changing the locks and locking them out. In most states this type of self help is not supported but in most instances the guests lack the wherewithal to bring a suit for wrongful eviction. Also if they do win the suit they do not get to come back, rahter you will be required to pay their "damages." Since they will not have any actual provable damages your risks are small. See this article for more detailed information: I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald