How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you my following

Customer Question

Thank you for taking my following question.
My Daughter's stepfather purchased a car for her to use but the car is still under his name and yesterday it was repossessed with my personal belongings from a mall parking lot.
I contacted the repossession company today and was told I can't get my belongings unless the lien-officer faxed an approval letter.
please advise if I can get legal access to recover my belongings.
My work computer, Passport and other work items are in the car. I have both keys.
Best regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Under Texas law, repossession companies have to allow the borrower to remove all loose items from the car or truck and store them at cost. While you are not the borrower, the borrower can go for you with a Power of Attorney to remove your items. if the repossession company is refusing to allow this until/unless a lender sends a fax, and if the lender is refusing to do so or this is a time sensitive matter, then one can threaten to file a complaint with the Attorney General of Texas. See HERE. The AG can prosecute the company either civilly or criminally. Threatening this will often simply have the company agree to allow retrieval to avoid the limelight. In addition or in the alternative, one can SUE the company for "negligence per se" and "trespass to chattel" for them not allowing retrieval. However because this may take months to get to court, the threat of an AG complaint may be more effective. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!