Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In Virginia, if a tenant moves out I understand I must keep

Customer Question
personal items for 90 days...
In Virginia, if a tenant moves out I understand I must keep personal items for 90 days. If he abandons 6 vehicles, two jet ski trailers and a utility trailer, does the same 90 apply or my I get rid of these?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/29/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. First, let us talk about general abandonment. Actually, per VA Code 55-248.38:1: 1) If the lease has terminated, then the landlord can dispose of the property within 24 hours.2) If the lease was abandoned, then the landlord can dispose of the property within 7-10 days.3) Tenant has 24 hours to retrieve the property if they are forced out by a court order. However, this applies to general property. You are talking about titled property. This is different. If you wish to get title to the property, then you have to follow the procedure to request abandoned title from the state.However if you wish to simply get rid of the property, then the same 24/7/10 days apply. Note that in most cases, notice to the ex-tenant is mandatory prior to doing anything. Full text of the applicable statute: § 55-248.38:1Disposal of property abandoned by tenants.If any items of personal property are left in the premises, or in any storage area provided by the landlord, after the rental agreement has terminated and delivery of possession has occurred, the landlord may consider such property to be abandoned. The landlord may dispose of the property so abandoned as the landlord sees fit or appropriate, provided he has: (i) given a termination notice to the tenant in accordance with this chapter, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in the premiseswould be disposed of within the twenty-four hour period after termination, (ii) given written notice to the tenant in accordance with § 55-248.33, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in the premiseswould be disposed of within the twenty-four hour period after expiration of the seven-day notice period, or (iii) given a separate written notice to the tenant, which includes a statement that any items of personal property left in thepremises would be disposed of within twenty-four hours after expiration of a ten-day period from the date such notice was given to the tenant. Any written notice to thetenant shall be given in accordance with § 55-248.6. Thetenant shall have the right to remove his personal property from the premises at reasonable times during the twenty-four hour period after termination or at such other reasonable times until the landlord has disposed of the remaining personal property of the tenant.During the twenty-four hour period and until the landlorddisposes of the remaining personal property of the tenant, the landlord shall not have any liability for the risk of loss for such personal property. If the landlord fails to allow reasonable access to the tenant to remove his personal property as provided in this section, the tenant shall have a right to injunctive or other relief as provided by law. If thelandlord received any funds from any sale of abandoned property as provided in this section, the landlord shall pay such funds to the account of the tenant and apply same to any amounts due the landlord by the tenant, including the reasonable costs incurred by the landlord in selling, storing or safekeeping such property. If any such funds are remaining after application, the remaining funds shall be treated as a security deposit under the provisions of § 55-248.15:1. The provisions of this section shall not be applicable if the landlord has been granted a writ ofpossession for the premises in accordance with Title 8.01 and execution of such writ has been completed pursuant to § 8.01-470. § 55-248.38:2Authority of sheriffs to store and sell personal property removed from residential premises; recovery of possession by owner; disposition or sale.Notwithstanding the provisions of § 8.01-156, when personal property is removed from a dwelling unit pursuant to an action of unlawful detainer or ejectment, or pursuant to any other action in which personal property is removed from the dwelling unit in order to restore the dwelling unitto the person entitled thereto, the sheriff shall oversee the removal of such personal property to be placed into the public way. The tenant shall have the right to remove his personal property from the public way during the 24-hour period after eviction. Upon the expiration of the 24-hour period after eviction, the landlord shall remove, or dispose of, any such personal property remaining in the public way.At the landlord’s request, any personal property removed pursuant to this section shall be placed into a storage area designated by the landlord, which may be the dwelling unit. The tenant shall have the right to remove his personal property from the landlord’s designated storage area at reasonable times during the 24 hours after eviction from thelandlord’s or at such other reasonable times until thelandlord has disposed of the property as provided herein. During that 24-hour period and until the landlord disposes of the remaining personal property of the tenant, thelandlord and the sheriff shall not have any liability for the risk of loss for such personal property. If the landlord fails to allow reasonable access to the tenant to remove his personal property as provided herein, the tenant shall have a right to injunctive or other relief as otherwise provided bylaw.Any property remaining in the landlord’s storage area upon the expiration of the 24-hour period after eviction may be disposed of by the landlord as the landlord sees fit or appropriate. If the landlord receives any funds from any sale of such remaining property, the landlord shall pay such funds to the account of the tenant and apply same to any amounts due the landlord by the tenant, including the reasonable costs incurred by the landlord in the eviction process described in this section or the reasonable costs incurred by the landlord in selling or storing such property. If any funds are remaining after application, the remaining funds shall be treated as security deposit under applicablelaw.The notice posted by the sheriff setting the date and time of the eviction, pursuant to § 8.01-470, shall provide notice to the tenant of the rights afforded to tenants in this section and shall include in the said notice a copy of this statuteattached to, or made a part of, this notice. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law