Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I take a schedule 2 opiate and have few years through

Customer Question

Hello I take a schedule 2 opiate and have for a few years through a pain specialist. The last time I had my prescription filled, they told me the District Attorney of Tehama Co. had to know what my diagnosis is as to why I have to take this prescription. So not only do all of the workers in that pharmacy now know why I take Morphine, so does the district attorney.
I feel this is a very big violation of my privacy. Am I right, or has privacy really gone out the door? Thank you. ToniP
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. It depends on how everything happened. HIPAA is the law that protects someone medical information but it has exceptions for law enforcement. The DA couldn't be asking about it just because they were curious but if your account somehow got flagged due to too many prescriptions or something that is known as "doctor shopping" then they can ask. If you think he is acting inappropriately then you can file a complaint with your state's Bar Association, the Attorney General or with the federal Department of Health and Human Services Civil Rights division at http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/index.html