Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A case in Illinois. Currently scheduled:Pre trial hearing

Customer Question
A case in Illinois. Currently...
A case in Illinois. Currently scheduled:
Pre trial hearing 5/9
Motion to Restrict Parenting Time hearing 5/23
Final hearing 6/6
I need to file:
-Objection to Motion to Restrict Parenting Time
-Motion for temporary order
-Motion to Continue final hearing until August so that temp order can be in place and I can get my son the proper mental healthcare he needs.
I know what to draft but I am struggling with the timing of these filings... I would like the Temp Orders to be heard on 5/9, the pre trial date...... Not sure they'd have enough notice though. Please advise!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/28/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. As you are aware, there are local rules which you want to look into and review, just to make sure you are prepared for the pre-trial hearing. I say this because you do need to submit filings to the court and I have provided a local rule below, which outlines what may be required of you. As such, you can file the objection above and see if it can be heard and addressed on the 9th, when all parties are present. If you filed it today and send notice, it should be timely and the Judge can hear it. If anything, it will have to be decided on the 23, since this is an objection to the motion and there is already time set for this to be decided. You can try and get the Judge to hear it on the 9th but that may be limited to issues about the trial. The Judge may tell you the motion for the parenting time will be heard later BUT you can always emphasis that emergency and need for this because it has to do with the health of your son 4.01 PRE-TRIAL CONFERENCESA. Requirements of Pretrial Conferences. Any party on motion may request a pretrial conference in any civil action. In addition, the Court may order that a pretrial conference be held. At least one pretrial conference should be held in all civil jury actions. The responsible attorneys who will try the case shall attend pretrial conferences. The Court shall set the time, date and place of the pretrial conference and direct that notice be given to all interested parties. The attorney for each party shall have ascertained in advance of the conference the extent of settlement authority. Each attorney shall have present in person or immediately available by telephone a representative with authority to discuss and determine each aspect of potential settlement.B. Pretrial Memorandum. It shall be the duty of the attorneys for each of the parties involved in a cause of action to prepare a full and complete typewritten pretrial memorandum in form in accordance with these rules. Unless otherwise ordered, the foregoing requirement shall not apply to a pretrial conference held in connection with a special progress call under Rule 3.10.C. All pretrial conferences shall be governed by the Supreme Court Rules.D. Settlement Prior To Trial. In the event of settlement prior to a scheduled pretrial conference or prior to trial, the attorneys shall immediately notify the judge that the cause has been settled.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
LegalKnowledge, Attorney