How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cerecita Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 21333
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Cerecita is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is travelling from LAX to ORD on Saturday,

Customer Question

My wife is travelling from LAX to ORD on Saturday, April 30th and returning on May 10th. Here is our problem......both of her IDs, her passport and her driver's license are expired. I went to the CA DMV today to get a California ID Card but it won't be delivered for two weeks. Can she travel with her expired passport and CA driver's license An additional compounding problem is is that she is suffering from the early stages of dementia and Alzheimer's and is easily confused.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome. An expired driver's license and expired passport will not be accepted as valid ID's, however, if you have a receipt or paper declaring that the California ID card was applied for, but you're only waiting for delivery, that might be acceptable. When a necessary document, like the driver's license is expired, the TSA screeners can look up the information in their databases to help verify the identity of the person flying and your wife should be able to board the plane. I see that you're location is Canada, so, if your wife is Canadian, it's important that her passport is up to date. Since she's flying from LAX to ORD, both in the U.S., there shouldn't be a problem, but if she is a Canadian citizen, she might need that passport to be brought up to date. There are 'rush' places that can get her passport renewed before her departure date, so check those out and see what you can do. Because your wife is suffering from the early stages of dementia and Alzheimer's, it would be best to have you go with her through security and to the gate, before she departs. You can also request that someone from the airline helps her get on the plane, answer her questions, if she has any during the flight and help her depart the plane to (hopefully) a waiting family member in Chicago. You and whomever is meeting her plane in Chicago, can request a 'gate pass' to allow you to go through to the gate without a ticket. Ask about this, when you call TSA Cares (info following). Also, I suggest calling TSA Cares, explain her medical condition and ask for passenger support while she is in the airport and on the plane: Email TSA Cares(855)(###) ###-####Weekdays:8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ETWeekends/Holidays:9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET----------------Here is the website about the service: hope everything works out well, and your wife has a wonderful flight! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher