Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

The police came to my house on an annonomyus email that said

Customer Question
a large amount of drugs...
The police came to my house on an annonomyus email that said a large amount of drugs were being stored in my property. They opened a couple of drawers didn't find anything, asked where my husband was, walked out to his work shop, found nothing, walked over to my husbands parked car, picked up his medicine bag, which had his prescriptions, only his prescriptions, and a bag of pot. They asked my husband to set somebody up or turn himself in... Do they have the right to do this? Does my husband have to turn himself in?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/27/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney
Good afternoon. I am Loren, licensed attorney and former asst prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.Did the officers have a search warrant? Did you or your husband consent to the search?
Are you online with me?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I'm here. They did not have a warrant. They said usually these emails are bogus they just needed to look around.. They said if you give us what you have, we will take it and that will be the end of it. If we find anything that is another story.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I let them in... My husband was out at his work shop stop them when they went to his truck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He told them he needed to see a warrant and they said that I had already consented
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We live in a 30 acre farm, the work shop is a good hundred feet from the house.. They didn't ask to search the vehicles.
Unfortunately, if you let them into the house you may have consented to a warrantless search. However, if they did not arrest him right away and want him to turn himself in I suspect they believe the search was tainted. Stop speaking to the police and if an arrest warrant is issued retain a defense attorney and arrange for him to arrange for your husband to turn himself in.Until then, do not cooperate and do not communicate to any police officers about this.
The police will often try to bluff or scare someone into giving evidence incriminating themself or another person even though the police have no probable cause.
Simple possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor in Alabama.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?
Loren, Attorney