How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was found dead in a correctional facility under

Customer Question

My brother was found dead in a correctional facility under "suspicious" circumstances. They call it suicide. However, policies and procedures were disregarded by correctional officers which we feel resulted in my brothers death. What kind of an attorney should we be looking for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You are looking for a civil rights attorney. In order to overcome their governmental qualified immunity granted by statute, you have to prove that they did in fact violate policies and procedures to prove gross negligence. Civil rights attorneys are very selective, so they require some evidence as they do not have time to investigate the volumes of cases that are brought to them. You can find a local civil rights attorney (or at least one in FL) at the same sites used by other attorneys, or
You can also contact the Southern Poverty Law Center for assistance ( and they can sometimes provide recommendations at least to local attorneys who may be more willing to take a case like this on.