How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117430
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name on social security card and on my naturalization certificate

Customer Question

My name on social security card and on my naturalization certificate spelled differently. I used SS spelling for everything since 1998. Now some states (FL for example, where I am moving)require to bring a birth certificate or, in my case, naturalization paper for getting a driver's license. Should I change my name on a Social Security? My nursing license?? Will I have problems?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, having a misspelling on your SS card that is different from your birth certificate/naturalization certificate is a problem, a very common problem. Everything needs to match your birth certificate/naturalization certificate.
First, you need to go to the SS office with your naturalization certificate and explain the name is ***** ***** on the SS card, it is not a different name, just a misspelling, which they can correct.

Related Legal Questions