How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27478
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was charged murder he did not commit he spent

Customer Question

My husband was charged for a murder he did not commit he spent fifteen years in prison ,I'm trying to see if we can get his record exsponged or sealed or even get a pardon from the the mayor
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In what US state did this occur? Was he charged or was he convicted? If convicted, how long has he been out of prison? Is he on parole? If so, for how much longer must he remain on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Illinois yes he was convicted he's been out of prison for thirteen years no
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. Give me a few minutes to look up the expungement law of your state and see what your options are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately, the state of Illinois will not expunge an adult conviction unless it first has been pardoned by the governor. So the pardon is your husband's only remedy.Pardon's are free to apply for and they do not require a lawyer. However, like all post-conviction remedies, they are longshots. The prosecutor would get to weigh in on the decision and the family of the victim would also be allowed input. But if he can get one, then he'd be able to get this matter off of his record. The Prisoner Review Board does the initial screening for the Governor. The form and instructions are available on the web and I'll attach that hereto. Good luck!