Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How long can one suspend a divorce Connecticut. Also,

Customer Question
how long can one suspend...
how long can one suspend a divorce for in Connecticut. Also, can one convert a suspension to a legal separation after the suspension? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/23/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CT practice rules:
Sec. 14-3. Dismissal for Lack of Diligence
(a) If a party shall fail to prosecute an action with reasonable diligence, the judicial authority may, after hearing, on motion by any party to the action pursuant to Section 11-1, or on its own motion, render a judgment dismissing the action with costs. At least two weeks’ notice shall be required except in cases appearing on an assignment list for final adjudication. Judgment files shall not be drawn except where an appeal is taken or where any party so requests.
What this means is that if the case does not have any activity for a reasonable time, which the court considers to be 1 year generally from the last thing filed in the case, then the case will be dismissed for lack of diligence in prosecution of the case and you would have to start the case all over again.
However, if you are satisfied with a legal separation, then the court can order the separation and that ends the case and if you later want to convert it to divorce you have to file a new petition in court to convert the separation to a divorce.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney