How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in default of my student loans. I have horribly avoided

Customer Question

I am in default of my student loans. I have horribly avoided the whole situation out of shame. I haven't been able to pay because I have never been able work profitably (always suffered a loss) because of three special needs family members I have taken care of. I was served papers for an Order to Appear for Examination, US District Court on Tuesday. I finally contacted the plaintiff (United States of America) attorney today (appearance was ordered for 4/26/16) and wrote him an explanation of why I wasn't able to pay and why I was unable due to my family obligation to travel 90 miles to San Francisco. He has just sent me a "Stipulation to Continue Order to Appear for Examination to October 25, 2016." The Stipulation just spells out the continuance, but the one thing I have question of is that there is a paragraph: "That the court shall order that plaintiff be allowed to record an abstract of the judgment in this matter adding the name upon which defendant holds title to real property, Jamie L. McMullen."
I now go by my married name which is Jami Fitzgerald, but the title of my house (which is all I have and need for my family and to make the little money I do make from my home business) is under Jami McMullen-Fitzgerald.
I can't go to court Tuesday. I am willing to do whatever I can now to make this right, even though I am living well below the poverty level but will comply with whatever I need to. I am just concerned that if I sign this am I risking losing my house? My disabled son and I will be homeless if that happens, literally. I have been so afraid to face this that I don't even know if a lien was filed against the property. Should I sign this Stipulation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney. I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?Thank you.