How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can we sue our HOA enforcing their policies and

Customer Question

Can we sue our HOA for not enforcing their policies and letting our neighborhood go to heck? I pay my dues and there are violations all around me and they do nothing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If the HOA is failing to enforce the rules of the governing documents (Articles of Incorpration, By-Laws, CC&Rs, etc.), yes, you can sue for breach of contract, negligence, and arbitrary and capricious, or selective enforcement.Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of attorney would we look for to help us with a suit?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
A civil litigation attorney. There are civil litigation attorneys that specialize in HOA matters (most represent both HOAs and Owners, so any of the smaller firms, or solo practitioners that advertise themselves as "common interest development" "condo association" or "HOA" law attorneys as part of their practice, should be well suited to represent you).You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).