How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a victim of roofing company fraud I paid 3700$ to buy

Customer Question

I am a victim of roofing company fraud I paid 3700$ to buy materials for roof repair contract over a year ago never heard from them again all contacts with company unsuccesfull owner is currentlly incarcerated how do I file charges ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to contact your local district attorney's office and go into their office with your proof of payment to him and it is up to them to file charges against him. Unfortunately, your other remedy is to file a civil suit against him in small claims for the money, but if he is already in jail, it is not likely he has the assets to repay you the money at this point, but if you get a judgment against him you can pursue it against him when he gets out and seek to even seize his property to satisfy your judgment.
Start with going to your local district attorney's office though and get them to prosecute him.