How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37682
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

21 April 2016 09:31 May I ask one more question. My

Customer Question

21 April 2016 09:31
May I ask one more question. My ex-husband is now threatening to sue for the tax return as well as half of the $123,000 I received on the sale of our house based on fraud. In which He had agreed to let me have the full equity of in our divorce decree. The house was sold in October of 2015 and he was aware of the equity amount and signed all the closing papers. The divorce was finalized on March 8th 2016. Not sure where he can get fraud from this but does he have any legal stand?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Filomena,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If your ex voluntarily transferred the property's equity to you in the divorce, it was up to him to determine the equity in the home at that time. It was not up to you to tell him. So there was no fraud there and it seems that he is reaching for straws in an attempt to get money he is not entitled to. There is no fraud here based on the facts you have provided. As for the return, if the two of you filed jointly, and he did not agree to allow you to keep any refund in the divorce agreement, then the refund will need to be divided between the two of you because it was an asset of the marriage. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug