How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Alabama. Married a Louisiana resident. Sold my

Customer Question

I am from Alabama. Married a Louisiana resident. Sold my home, moved to La. We were 60 when we married. In 2011 we bought a small condo unit in Mobile, Al so I would have a place to spend time with my adult children and other family members and friends, as well as a place to live should husband predecease me. I have no legal interest in his home here. We decided to basically move to Mobile and maintain his home as a second home. Shortly afterwards, his only child became critically ill with polycystic kidney disease. He is the only person she has to rely on to see about her when she is sick. So we basically moved back to La. but I stay in Alabama a lot. Two years ago I went with my daughter to purchase a car for her. She was 47, a Mobile County public school teacher. Dealer suggested we buy the car in my name as I could get a better loan rate than she could. We did. At some point I changed my drivers license to La. When she went to renew her license plate this year, she was not allowed to do so because I no longer had Ala. drivers license. The OMV advised her I must buy license plate in La. and then she could continue to drive the car in Ala. She insured it under her name and the agent said I would be included on the policy as a 2nd lienholder or something of the sort. So I went to OMV here and am told I will have to pay an additional 8% sales tax on the car although it has never been garaged in La. and probably never will be. Also that even though she has State Farm auto ins, a nationally recognized co. I have to get La. based insurance. Yet, they say she is subject to getting a ticket in Al. for driving the car in Ala with La. license plate. Any advice? I still own and use the condo in Alabama and that was the addr on the loan.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need quick answer, she is driving with expired plate. I am going to have to do something and am leaving tomorrow for Mobile to attend a homeowner's assoc. meeting and if I've got to buy here, need to do it today.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but not sure I understand the question.

Can you verify

1. You are on the title to the car (you alone...not her)?
2. Your license is is from LA?
3. LA is trying to tax you? Is this a sales tax?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Ma'am what is your question..are you asking if they can require you to have LA plates on your car?

Related Legal Questions