How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55301
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had a contractor come in to finish the inside of his

Customer Question

My son had a contractor come in to finish the inside of his new home, I'm not totally sure of what all the contract said but they didn't have a finish date in writing but more verbal it was taking twice as long as they had planned and suddenly the contractor just left and never came back, even took the keys with him. It took us over 2 months to finish ourselves. Does he have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping. He does have recourse. What your son needs to do is raise the stakes on him. Send the contractor a certified, return receipt requested letter and demand he pay what it cost to finish the job properly. Inform him that if he does not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, your son will have no choice but to file a suit for the damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this claim, it will be not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, deceptive trade practice, and fraud causes of action, which will entitle your son not only to the actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times the actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your son's demands; but, if it does not, he should file the suit. Even if he has to file the suit, that's likely all that will need to be done. In my experience, he will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on the record. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions